Created by: Chef Keith Snow
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Recommended Beverage: Super Tuscan Red
Cannelloni is an Italian dish that may bring back some memories of being in the kitchen with your grandmother or just that you had it in a great little restaurant. However it might be, I hope this recipe will build memories with your family.
1 1/2 lbs ground chuck
1 1/2 lbs ground pork
1/2 cup white onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 cup fresh tomato chopped
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated fine
1 medium bay leaf
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbs fresh basil chopped
1 tsp fresh oregano chopped
6 ounces Fresh Mozzarella sliced
1 recipe H.E. tomato sauce
more Parmesan cheese as desired
1. In a large pan, brown the meat over medium low heat and then add the onions, garlic and bay leaf Allow the onions to cook until soft. Now add the remaining ingredients adding the bread crumb a small amount at a time to form a loose filling. set this aside to cool.
2. To assemble; roll three tablespoons of the filling in 4×4 squares of spinach pasta and brush with olive oil. place the rolled pasta in a stove-top steamer and steam them for ten minutes. (optionally add bay leaf and whole allspice to the steaming water)
3. Place the pasta rolls in a baking dish. Spoon the sauce over the top and cover with the cheese.
4. Bake covered in a preheated 450 degree oven for 15 minutes.
5. As an option, brown the cheese under the broiler for an additional 5 five minutes.
6. Allow the dish to rest for five to ten minutes.