Created By: Chef Keith Snow
This recipe is a delicious tomato pie from scratch – homemade pastry dough, topped with organic heirloom tomatoes, apple wood smoked bacon, fresh rosemary and Spanish blue cheese.
1 recipe pie dough
2 Sticks Butter (cold), chopped into half-inch cubes
2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour plus some extra as “bench flour”
1 tbs Kosher Salt
1 cup Water (ice-cold)
Make Pie Dough
1. Add salt and flour to food processor. Pulse to mix. Add Butter. Pulse until you get small pebble-sized chunks of butter. Careful not to over-work.
2. Add water, pulsing while pouring until mixture starts to come together..not too much!!
3. Dump out mixture onto a cold, hard surface. Using extra flour as needed, mold by hand into a flat disc. Be careful to work quickly as not to melt the butter.
4. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate a minimum of 45 minutes, longer if you can.
2 large heirlooms tomatoes, sliced (use clean towel to remove excess liquid)
1/2 cup cooked apple wood smoked bacon, in large pieces
3 tbs Parmesan cheese, grated
2-3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 tbs fresh rosemary
2 tbs blue cheese, frozen
kosher salt to taste
black pepper to taste
1. Roll out dough and form into the tart pan that has been greased, dock the dough with a fork. Blind bake it as per video for 10-15 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven until just starting to get golden brown.
2. Lay tomatoes in dough, add chopped rosemary, top with bacon, season with salt and pepper.
3. Shave your blue cheese on then add the Parmesan cheese.
4. Bake for roughly 25 minutes in the same 350 degree oven.
Chef’s Note: This tomato pie is the perfect way to use abundant beef steak or heirloom tomatoes. Tomato pie is a elegant appetizer that is perfect for summer picnics.